February 20, 2012

When it rains, it pours...

This week was a trying week for me. First let me start off by saying I absolutely love my companion. She is great and we really do get along and communicate just fine. That doesn´t mean there isn´t a lot of silence in the streets (but I think its mainly because its almost 100 degrees everyday and the humidity doesn´t help either...so we don´t really have energy to talk) but really I love her. Everyone kept telling me "your second companion is always the hardest because you are so used to your trainer and how they do things and so its just different and usually really hard"...oh great. I can´t wait. haha BUT they were wrong. haha I love her and during the lessons and everything things go really smooth and everything has been really great! Then this week happened and geesh sometimes life is just really hard.
 
There aren´t really specific things that happened it kind of just all happened at once. So my companion is...lets say not 100% obedient...its more like 99.9% obedient. Which I´m sure some of you are thinking "and the problem with that is...". As a missionary in the MTC we were promised that if we were obedient we would receive blessings, but if we were were obedient with exactness we would receive miracles on our missions. Its not easy but I definitely want to see miracles on my mission! Obviously...I think every missionary does. Anyway. Its hard for me to explain because in reality we aren´t disobedient at all, its just little things that happen every once in a while that add up after a while. I don´t want you all to think that we are slackers right now and not serving the Lord because we are :) and we are loving it. But this week I just didn´t feel like I was being the missionary that I want to be. I didn´t feel like I was really serving the Lord with 100% of my heart. I didn´t really know what needed to happen in order for me to feel better until we had our district meeting on Wednesday. Our district leader Elder Casas (he is a cute little elder from Peru) bore his testimony and shared experiences and a little lesson with us. I started bawling. I can´t even remember what he said but I remember feeling the spirit so strong and it being exactly what I needed to hear. ( I promise Im being a good missionary!!)
 
Also that morning I found a fungus thing on my leg. At first I thought it was just another mosquito bite, but my companion was like oh hermana...thats a hongo...a what?! un hongo. After looking in the dictionary I was like...oh great. Thats disgusting. I can´t even tell you what it was but I called Hermana Salas and she explained to me how to take care of it and everything. After talking with her I just started crying again. My companion was like whats wrong? and I through the tears was like "I have a fungus on my leg, I know I am 21 years old but I want my mom. I don´t want to have to take care of this thing by myself in spanish!!" For some reason it was really dramatic for me to have a fungus on my leg. haha The fungus is now gone (I still don´t know what it was) and I feel much better about myself and where I stand with the Lord.  I was debating explaining all of this to you because I don´t want you to think that I have this huge thing in my life that is keeping me from serving the Lord, I think I just had a moment of being human, a moment of weakness that I wasn´t sure how to overcome. That night I was on my knees for longer than usual and once again I testify that the power of the atonement is real and it is for everyone and for everything.
 
That is one of the greatest lessons I´ve learned so far on my mission. Because I always thought that the atonement was for sins and so I never really "used" the atonement in my life. But on my mission I think I use the atonement everyday. Even for the littlest of things. It is a gift that only our Savior Jesus Christ could have given us and I will forever be grateful for Him and His atonement.
 
Also we didn´t have cold water for a few days. Now I know that sounds a lot better than not having hot water but let me tell you its not because our toilet is also run by the cold water, meaning we couldn´t flush our toilet for a few days. If you would like to hear about that experience you´ll have to ask me in 13 months when I´m home. haha oh geesh.
 
So...here in Argentina when it rains it pours. Literally we were outside, it was cloudy but not super cloudy. We were walking and within 5 minutes we were soaking wet!! I couldn´t see I had makeup running down my face and I was laughing histerically. I absolutely loved it. My hair when it dried was for real like Simba. Wow. But for real when it rains it pours, not only in the weather but in real life too. This week was a trying week for me but I think Heavenly Father was testing me and hopefully I passed because there is nothing more I want than for my Father in Heaven to be proud of me when I return home from my mission.
 
I love you all so much. Know that you are all in my prayers and that your Heavenly Father loves you each very much!
 
I love Argentina, I love the people, I love spanish, I love learning more and more about this gospel everyday. I love my savior Jesus Christ and I love my Heavenly Father. I love my mom and I love my dad. I love my sisters and brothers. I love the Book of Mormon and I love when people here speak english to me. Its hilarious. I love to laugh and the dumb things that happen everyday and I love to pray and just talk to my Father in Heaven. I love being in a family that supports me in my decision and I love having friends and cousins that have served missions and that are currently serving missions. I love loving other people. If you don´t know what that feels like...try it. Its incredible.
 
Thank you for your support and your prayers. I love them and need them :)
 
Love you all!
Love,
Hermana Bosco.
 
 

1 comment: