September 10, 2011

All is well... Karissa's first e-mail

Dear familia y amigos,
I love the MTC! Oh man what a great little campus. It kind of feels like you are in a little fish bowl (especially when you can see the streets of the outside world) but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything! Ok where to even begin....my companions name is Hermana Fairbanks and she is cousins to Lydia Meyers husband! What a small world. I love her though. She is more of a quiet personality but we get along really well and are usually laughing when we are together. One of our first adventures here involved an elevator. We didn't want to walk up the stairs (we are on the top floor for everything!!) So right before we stepped into the elevator two elders were like "hola sisters, bienvenidos!" which means hi sisters, Welcome! So we were like "hola" and walked into the elevator...pushed a button and nothing happened...so I swiped this little missionary card thing we have and still nothing happened. I did not want to walk back out of the elevator on the same floor because those elders would have seen us again!! So we waited...for a good 5 minutes before the elevator moved because someone else pushed the button. haha oh man. First day! The food is bueno, but I can see how people get sick of it after uh....3 days. Yep. I did see Nora though which made my day :)
We met with our Branch President and one of the counselors was like "Hermana Bosco, the only Bosco I know is that throwing one" (as she was making gestures of a quarterback) and I was like YEP that's my dad! Then she was like do you have a little brother that plays soccer? haha (WHAT?!) Uh...yes I do. She was like, yeah my husband and I have watched him play soccer before, we didn't know it was him but he was a goalie right? (Collin!! You are even famous in the MTC!!) So that was a fun little connection, also their names are Brother and Sister Jolly. So possibly the coaches Mom and Dad right? I love the branch presidency though, they really make you feel welcome and it makes the adjustment a lot easier.
The first night was really hard. I cried myself to sleep as most of you probably thought I would BUT on the bright side I haven't really cried since! haha It's weird because of course I miss my family and friends more than anything but when I'm going throughout my day I don't really think about home that much (dont' be offended) ha. It's just a nice relief to only have to worry about the salvation of other people, which is a huge responsibility, especially in spanish, but I bet I'm a lot less stressed than most of you :). The gospel is true and I would not be giving the Lord 18 months of my life if I didn't know that.
My district. LOVE THEM! There are 4 sisters and 7 elders (there is a threesome). One of the elders knows Cy, Elder Tovey, and he joined the church 14 months ago! Such a testimony builder to me. He didn't really know Cy that well just knew of him. Then there is another Elder, Elder Corderey, who reminds me so much of Austin Maw. I sit by him in class and just laugh the whole time. His famous line is MUCHO GUSTO! (pleased to meet you). He usually uses that phrase when he doesn't understand what people are saying in spanish which is a good 90% of the time. Then we have Elder Skousen who gets called to the office like everyday...for who knows what reason. He is our District leader and he will be such an amazing one. All these boys are just my favorite. They remind me a lot of all the real little brothers and fake little brothers I had to leave at home. Someday you boys are going to make a sister missionary's adjustment to the MTC so much easier! Prepare now and be the best people you can be. I promise you will be blessed because of it.
There are 6 sisters in our room. Hermana Johansen (one of my favorites), Howard (comforted me on the first night she was so good to me), Litster (dont' worry about pronouncing her name right...none of us can do it either.) Fairbanks (mi companera and the sweetest girl. I seriously adore her.) and then Pullen (always makes me laugh. We are probably the most similar and I just always have such a great time with her). These hermanas have really made my adjustment to the MTC a lot easier. It's nice to know that through all the espanol that none of us understand we are all here for the same reasons and have all the same goals in life.
I love this gospel and am truly blessed to have had it my whole life. I am so grateful that mom and dad have been sealed in the temple and that we get to be with each other for eternity!! I know that Joseph Smith restored this gospel and I'm so glad that he did. Thomas S. Monson is the true Prophet on this earth today and I will dilligently try to follow his example and his words daily. I love my savior, Jesus Christ and am so grateful for the sacrifices he went through for me.
I only have 5 minutes left (30 is not enough time to spill out the first 3 days in the MTC) but I love you all and I'm so grateful for your prayers and your support. It really does make a difference and God really does love his missionaries...especially his Hermanas :)
Enjoy the little things -- "our" motto for the next 18 months.
Love,
Hermana Bosco
I'll try to send pictures....when I take some :)

1 comment:

  1. Big fan of your word 'favorite' and the extra side-notes added with parenthesis. I will be following these weeklyyyy. So proud and happy for you, Karissa.

    ReplyDelete