If there is one thing you should know about me it's that I am in love with eyes. That doesn't mean I've perfected the whole 'eye contact' thing when talking to people, but I'm getting better. I just think eyes are beautiful and so unique.



I'm not just randomly telling you about my eye feddish, there is a reason. I got LASIK surgery. And can I just tell you how strange it is to be awake during a surgery? Well let me just tell you, it's bizarre. So on thursday they had to dilate my eyes...not a fan. First of all the drops sting and then I just felt like a cartoon because my pupils were so dang big. Second you can't go out in the sun because it's so bright so you have to wear these glasses shaped like the old 3D glasses. Real classy. (Don't have a pictures of the classy ones just my dilated eyes).

That day they also numbed my eyes to check my pressure. That was probably the weirdest thing about the whole thing. When you blink it feels like you have sausage link eyes. Not quite sure if that makes sense, but your eyelids feel like they are about an inch thick, weirdest thing.
Next day, which is today, I wake up and have to be at the eye doctor at 8:00. Show up still feeling fine, not too nervous yet. Then they take us to the waiting room while they are finishing up the patient right before me. But don't worry, my nerves kicked in right then because if a patient signs this form they show the video of the surgery right there in the waiting room. (I will have a copy of my surgery, so if anyone wants to come see what LASIK looks like during the surgery...feel free to come over). So I just watched this patient's eyeball for about ten minutes...not creepy at all. Then the pre-doctor man takes me back to prep me. So I put on the hair net and the little booties and he cleans my eyelids with that orange Iodine stuff. Don't have a picture of that either, but let's just say I could have been in a Lady GaGa music video...no hair because of the net and orange circles around my eye. Not a good look for anyone really.
Surgery time. Now I'm getting a little more nervous and I think they could tell because they gave me this stuffed bunny...haha I felt like I was 3. They start by saying, "Okay for this part there will be a LITTLE bit of pressure." Had I known LITTLE was a HUGE understatement I would have ran out of that room. In order to slice my cornea to get to the eye they have to add about 1,000 pounds of pressure to my little eyeball. Tried to be brave, strangled the bunny and cried. It wasn't painful as in sharp pains but it seriously felt like someone was standing on my eyeball. It was only 20 seconds so it really wasn't long, just a tad painful. After that there was just a bunch of blinking lights and this nasty smelling laser thing that corrected my vision so I was grateful for it, but it smelt so bad. After that they did the next eye and the whole thing only took like 20-30 minutes and recovery is only like 2-3 days. Not EVEN bad for a lifetime of great vision. The fabulous part now is that I get to wear these goggle cups over my eye that are taped to my forehead....yes taped to my forehead.

I am so grateful for technology and that procedures like LASIK are possible and available for us. I can't wait to be able to wake up and see without putting on glasses or contacts. It will be a glorious day. Thank you LASIK.
oh my goodness. I had my eyes numbed before. WEIRDEST EXPERIENCE EVER.
ReplyDeletehah put I don't know if I could deal with lasik.
you are prettttty awesome.